Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Okay, just what is Sizing anyway?


I’ve mainly use Sizing on appliqué pieces.  But just last week I had 2 different customers, each place a special order with me for a gallon of Mary Ellen’s Best Press.  There are a few other products on the market too, Magic Sizing and Niagara Sizing Fabric Finish Spray, and even a few recipes to make your own (see below). 


What am I missing? Just what’s the what about Sizing anyway??

Here is what I found out; in manufacturing it’s used both during the fabric weaving process and the fabric finishing process.

It’s used during the weaving process because of the structure of most textile threads, and especially those of cotton fiber, need some kind of treatment to help them withstand the tensile stain and abrasive action of the moving parts of the weaving loom.
Sizing is used in the finishing process to enhance tones of color, texture, and add softness when handled. So when we purchase new fabric it usually has a firm body and a smooth looking finish.

If you are a pre-washer like me, my guess is we are removing some or all of our fabric’s Sizing during washing.  Now those spray Sizing products make sense! We can make our washed fabric look and feel like new again by using a spray Sizing before ironing. Spray Sizing also makes ironing easier as it will give your fabric a nice crisp feel without the stiff feeling of starch.

Homemade spray starch recipe

Dissolve 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon cornstarch (depending on amount of stiffness you want) in a few tablespoons of cold water in a heat proof 2-cup measuring container. Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to the 2 cup line. Let cool and use in a spray bottle.  Shake it every time you spray.  You may have to dilute it a little if it is too thick or builds up white flakes.  Discard after a week or so and make a new batch.

6 comments:

  1. I love sizing because it keeps raw edges from fraying, makes quilting easier and helps me cut straighter. I make my sizing from 1 shot of cheap vodka, 1 cup distilled water and a few drops of lavender oil. This makes your sizing cost about .40¢ vs. around $12 for Best Press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beach Angel for this tip!!! I just tried using sizing on some precut 2 1/2 inch strips I'm working with, and WOW what a difference. I sized some and not others...You are so right, the sizing keep the raw edges from fraying and made my piecing way better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ?m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that?s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.Get Best Protective fabrics from Daletec.com in all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you use cornstarch with the vodka recipe or is that THE recipe for sizing? Not clear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IF I have hats, cotton hats that have lost their sizing when washed and regular starch has done nothing to return the stiffness, can i use sizing? I think it woud be good on my white hat...but what about on my black hat?

    ReplyDelete